Friday, April 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Dog Biscuits

Yes...I said DOG BISCUITS!

I honestly did not know that people made dog biscuits but come to find out...a lot of people do and there dogs love them!  I thought for sure that I would find a recipe and it would have all kinds of weird ingredients in it.  I told myself that I was not going to go to the store just to buy ingredients for dog biscuits.  To my surprise the recipe that I found was very simple and I had everything on hand.  SCORE!  

I have been seeing several different recipes circulating around the food blogging world so I decided that I just needed to pick one and give it a go!  I had a few bananas that needed to be used up and Xena (our pup) loves loves loves peanut butter so it was the perfect recipe. 

This recipe makes a good amount of biscuits but next time I am going to make them a little smaller.  I find that I have been breaking them up before giving them to Xena.  She loves them!  I know that I will be using this recipe a lot in the future.  Another plus is that I didn't have to buy biscuits for a while so if you are trying to cut back on costs I would be making this recipe.

SOURCE:  www.allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs (1 will be used at the end for brushing the biscuits)
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used smooth)
1/2 cup bananas (Smashed)
1 T. honey
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Mix egg and bananas together in bowl.
Add in peanut butter, honey, flour and wheat germ.
Place dough on clean floured surface.
Knead dough for 3 - 5 minutes until smooth.
Roll out dough to be 1/2 inch thick.
Use cookie cuter or small kitchen glass to cut biscuits.
Place biscuits on baking sheet (not greased).
Beat egg in small bowl and brush over tops of biscuits.
Bake 30 minutes.
Cool.
Store in seal tight container or seal tight bag. 

NOTE:  You certainly do not need to brush the top of the biscuits with egg.  I did, just to make them shiny! =)


Ms. Xena patiently waiting for her cookie to cool!


XoXo
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment