Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole



Hash brown casserole, funeral potatoes, potato bake…same difference. I was recently introduced to hash brown casserole (about 2 years ago if you call that recently).  =)  My Mom never made this when I was growing up and when I told her that I loved it while having it at my in laws my Mom said “Ohhh yeah…I like that too!” WHAT!?  She didn’t like it enough to make it in my whole 23 years of life.  Thanks Ma!  

Anyways…now I know about it, love it and make it when I want! =) (Not too often since it is not healthy but it is DELICIOUS!)

This dish is really popular on Kyle’s side of the family.  Every time we go to Utah I have it at least once.  In Utah they call it ‘funeral potatoes’ but I think that sounds depressing so I am sticking with hash brown casserole, so much more fitting.

This recipe is great if you have a large group of people.  One casserole dish will feed ATLEAST 6 – 10 people but since I cook for just Kyle and myself I 1/2 the recipe and it was just perfect for us.  We had plenty which was great so I could pack it for lunches the next day.  The casserole saves pretty well and to me is even better the next day heat up in the microwave. 

SOURCE: www.allrecipes.com (I think I am slightly obsessed with this darn site.)

INGREDIENTS

1 package (2 lb. bag) frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed)
½ cup butter (melted)
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup (any cream of _____ works just fine)
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
½ cup chopped onions
1 - 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
1 cup crushed cornflakes cereal (I only used cheese since I didn’t have cornflakes)
2 T. melted butter

*Low - fat or fat free products could very well be used.

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup melted butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream,   chopped   onions, Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
Place in casserole dish.
In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté cornflakes in butter and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole.
Bake covered in preheated oven for 40 minutes.


XOXO
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment